What drives a person to explore and discover new places is confidence. Any outdoorsman self-assurance is motivated by the tactical gears one carries. One of the most the most important out-of-doors gears is a tactical timepiece. Unlike conventional timepieces, the best tactical watch helps you plan your outdoor expeditions, and find your way in the wild.
Why Should You Use a Tactical Watches?
The invention of tactical watches provides solutions to different out-of-doors adventures, including navigation, weather trends, security, and military. A tactical timepiece is an ideal gear for any individual who lives at the extremes, trapped in the unknown, or faced with a survival situation.
This is so since tactical or military watches are engineered to stand up to extremes of Mother Nature, harsh environments, and hideous abuse. Manufacturers have taken into consideration all possible scenarios that a tactical watch may be exposed to and produced heavy-duty models.
The most popular use of any tactical watch apart from timekeeping is navigation. The best model is designed to offer all-inclusive tracking and navigation capabilities. The tracking and navigation abilities help you find your way when you are lost in the woods.
You can actually navigate back to the initial point of your journey. The most resourceful models are incorporated with sensors for detecting and providing details on weather changes and elevation. The chances of you finding your path are significantly increased with the help of a tactical watch.
A tactical timepiece with ABC (altimeter, barometer, & compass) features offer you with crucial information on weather status. The built-in compass helps you pinpoint the right direction. The installed altimeter monitors your ascent or descent; while the inbuilt barometer provides air pressure details that you can use to foresee weather changes.
The barometric trends are usually useful in the wild. You can essentially use the air pressure information to know when to set up shelter. This way, you will not be caught unaware of an unexpected heavy downpour. You also avoid being caught uninformed by nature in a harsh environment.
The best tactical watch is not only defined by features, but also by design. It can only withstand the harshest of conditions, if it is well-built. Therefore, the ideal choice is made of quality and heavy-duty material, and it should be waterproof and scratch-resistant.
How to Choose the Best Tactical Watches for Military & Survival Use
There are many considerations that you have to make before buying a tactical watch. Not all timepieces are designed the same. There are some specific attributes that can be found in a series of watches, especially those of the same brand. Here are the things you should look out for.
The piece you choose has to be capable of doing its job. This simply means that it has to be accurate, effective, and able to run continuously without any hitches. Being in a military or survival situation with a poor performing watch is the same as not having a watch.
The design of the watch does matter a lot when it comes to tactical watches. The vintage designs are surely cute and elegant. However, you might want to think twice before settling for analog watches. Well, they are a good addition to your attire.
Analog watches have been on the market for a long time. In actual fact, they have a long history. These watches are usually stylish, and mostly convenient for office or casual use. They are not quite fully equipped for survival or military situations, but there are some brands that have gained popularity among survivalist and military.
This does not mean that they cannot be used for military or survival applications, but they are not as effective and accurate as digital watches. Usually, most out-of-doors features are incorporated in digital watches compared to the competing analog brands.
How effective and high-performing a tactical watch is depends on how you are planning to use the timepiece. An analog watch will do you no good in the wild when you want to read air pressure, and predict weather changes.
The most effective tactical analog watches are those that are integrated with digital functionalities. The Casio and G-SHOCK brands have such watches on the market. The most significant features are found in digital designs, including ABC functionalities.
Tactical/military digital watches have dominated the market as far as tracking and navigation go. They are equipped with the right tools to help you track your movements and navigate your surroundings at ease. Some models even have preset for sunrise/sunset times, storm alarm, and weather trend graph.
The construction of the best tactical watch plays a vital role in the performance. Therefore, you have to choose a model that is made of high-quality material. This includes the dial window material, case material, and band material.
Another important design specification that is of utmost importance in military and survival use is waterproofing qualities. Different tactical watches come with different water ratings. There are some that have a lower water rate of 30 feet, while there are others that have a higher rating of 660 feet.
Those with a lower water rating are usually recommended for light shower and shallow water swimming. On the other hand, those with a higher rating are recommended for deep water swimming and diving.
Top 8 Best Tactical Watches to Buy in 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
1. Garmin Tactix Bravo, Black with Nylon Strap
Garmin Tactix Bravo is a watch with high resolution. Sapphire lens is used in this watch that helps in switching between two modes of day and night. There is a stainless steel antenna that is omnidirectional. This antenna can be tracked down even in the challenging environment.
3-Ring nylon straps are included with the olive and black drab. The durability is improved by stainless steel buttons and bezel. Jumpmaster activity is included which make the dual format GPS coordinate the support of minutes, seconds, degrees and more.
The exceptional water resistance feature enables it to be the best watch for swimming. Physiological metrics help in monitoring the heart rate in terms of performance and stress score. Fitness and sleep tracking maintain the form of the body.
The Garmin IQ website enables it to download speedometer, navigation and watch faces. It can provide real-time information from a barometer, altimeter, and compass. Connect with wireless devices and hotspot easily for software updates.
- Battery lasts for a long time
- Multiple new modes like jumpmaster and tactical mode
- Display it scratch resistant
- Notifications for text, app, and emails.
- It is an expensive watch.
2. Suunto Traverse
Suunto traverse is an ideal watch for the person who wants to carry a GPS handheld device with him all the time. This is specifically aimed towards travelers and hikers due to its exceptionally great features. It is a reliable watch which is really easy to use and provides accurate ratings.
GPS facility is present for routes and POI helps in navigation. The altitude, distance, and speed can be easily calculated in the form of real-time recorded tracks. The Suunto Movescount app helps a person to discover new directions. Downloading this application is pretty easy because it can be connected to any iOS or Android device.
Although it’s an exclusively designed watch for outdoor but the versatile design a person can wear it daily. Mobile notifications are easy to get and vibration alarm help to remember the important events.
- Weather trends and storm alarms help a lot in the adventurous trips
- In the dark, back flashlights turns on to assist in finding missing objects
- The calories are easy to track even to the yearly records
- Wireless connection help to share the experience with other devices
- The infinite features and applications make the battery life shorter.
3. Suunto Core Military Men’s sports watch SS014279010
The Suunto military watch is an all-black sports watch which can track all the movement and air pressure with the help of most accurate barometer and altimeter. All the outdoor activities can be held easily with the aesthetics provided by this amazing watch. The alarms for storms, flash, and other unpleasant conditions are given with the help of core sensors.
Weather trends are easily indicated up to further few hours. More accurate measurements of weather changes are provided with this durable and perfect watch. In the adventurous experiences, the digital compass assists in finding the direction.
Movement sensors and other technology included enables it to predict the sunset and sunrise timing. Elegant black look with the display in multiple languages such as French, English, Spanish and German make it an ultimate watch any military person can wish for.
- The watch case is so durable that it does not get damaged even after hard use
- Stylish designs are available with multiple variations to help in choice according to style of a person
- Weather trend graphs
- Sensors for storm alarms
- The black display makes it unreadable for most of the people, especially the ones with eyesight
4. Suunto Core ALU Deep Black
Suunto Core has the altimeter and barometer linked together through functions. Most accurate reading is provided by calculating altitude and pressure through altimeter and barometer. These readings are shown with the help of graph which makes it easy to analyze.
The compass is adjustable in declination. A reference is provided by keeping a record of the whole journey through this incomparable Compass experience. The thermometer provides the temperature rating from -5 F to 140 F.
The interface of Suunto Core is really easy to use. The items in the menu are labeled clearly for better understanding. It is so accommodating that multiple information is displayed at the same time. Navigating in these functions is really easy through available options.
- Most accurate reading is provided by barometer and altimeter as compared to the competitors
- Sunset and sunrise timing can be accessed once the right location is added
- Storm alarms and weather movement graph help to stay safe while planning trips
- The water resistance is up to the depth of 1000 meters
- There are three alarms which are less and the voice of these alarms is not loud.
5. Casio Men’s GW 9400 Solar Watch
Casio Men’s GW 9400 is a military watch with multi-band of 6 atomic timekeeping. This device has three sensors including Thermometer, Compass and Altimeter / Barometer. It is an exceptional watch with the tough solar capability and shock resistant screen.
The durability, toughness and time recording on single touch make it an ideal choice for rangers and military personnel. There are four alarms with the auto LED screen. The dial is digital that provides a negative display.
The exceptional feature of this watch which distinguishes it from the competitors is that the battery is solar rechargeable as well as provide the feature of power saving. This makes the overall life of battery working for 7 months once it is fully charged. Overall battery life is of 10 years.
- Countdown timer with 1/10 seconds stopwatch
- The buttons and case are mud resistant because they are sealed and mud cannot enter inside.
- The digital LED display to keep the screen after glowing due to super illuminator
- It is water resistant up to 660 feet.
- The sensors are not so good in terms of accuracy.
6. G-Shock GA 100 Military Watch Series Watch
G-Shock GA 100 is a specially made tactical watch series to facilitate the military personnel. The resin design of this watch is extremely durable. There is no need to adjust the dates every month because of the continuous calendar system.
It is actually a watch that provides an accurate value for money. Additional protection for the casing is made sure of the stainless steel material. The strap is made of black colored rubber resin that is durable.
The display is analog as well as digital that make the dial impressive. The Japanese quartz movement is available because of the increased affordability and accuracy. The impressive feature of this military watch is the 1/1000th-second accurate stopwatch along with speed indicator.
- The Japanese quartz movement is highly accurate
- The water resistance capability up to 200 meters makes it the best choice for the water sports and marine activity professionals.
- Backlight is present to increase the readability at night
- The mineral screen glass is helpful in providing protection against knocks and scratches
- This is an oversized watch and this makes it unsuitable for people who have small wrists.
7. Citizen Men’s BM 8180-03E Eco-Drive watch
Citizen Men Eco- Drive watch is an inexpensive military watch that offers great value for money. The dial is of stainless steel in black color. There is a date window in the dial that displays complete date. The band is stitched and made of canvas.
The movement of this watch is Japanese Quartz that can be charged both with the natural as well as indoor light. This feature increases the battery life of this watch. The dial window is made of mineral crystal that makes the screen scratch resistant and it remains protected.
The display is analog along with the features of luminosity, buckle closure, and textured crown. This is a military timepiece with the most comfortable fit available.
- 330 feet water resistance makes it the best choice for swimming and snorkeling but diving is not recommended for this watch.
- The woven strap is green and stitched in patterns along with the buckle clasp that is highly durable.
- The time indicator is with 12/24 hours display
- It is a light-driven watch that can get power from any light source
- The look is plain as compared to the watches in competition and the advanced features of sensors are not present in this watch
8. Luminox Evo Navy Seal Blackout Watch
Luminox Evo Blackout Watch is a military watch with a modest design and manifold functionalities. It is the best option in terms of style, reliability, comfort and legibility. The black case is made from the polymer of carbon reinforced material that is highly durable.
The band is made of rubber while the dial has Arabic numerals for marking the seconds, minutes and hours. The 3 o’clock spot is replaced by the date function. The dial is guarded by the help of mineral crystal window.
The movement of this military watch is Swiss Quartz for the precise and correct timekeeping. It is reliable in both night and day because of the night vision tube that makes it consistent and valid.
- This is the ideal watch for military personnel preferring simplicity and collection of all features in a single package.
- Water resistance of this watch is up to 660 feet.
- The display markers are featured by radioactivity for providing the accurate amount of light both in night and day time.
- A sapphire crystal is present on the 12 o’clock place.
- The night vision tube makes it unfavorable for the evening parties because of the distinctive color.
The best tactical watch with inventive know-how may cost far more compared to an ordinary water-resistant tactical timepiece. The word tactical or military means that the watch you are choosing is good. You just have to make sure that the stated features will work for you. It is important to have an accurate as well as reliable tactical watch; because there may be a time your survival may depend on its effectiveness.