A red dot sight is a magnifying device used for target acquisition and aiming. It is the one thing that enables you to aim point in the form of a red dot. They are found on cameras and telescopes and they are also part of the hunting gears.
If you want to become a competitive speed shooter, it is advisable that you get the best red dot sight on your handgun to help you achieve your goal. It is recommended that you go for the larger size because, the larger the dot, the quicker it will be for you to find and shoot your target.
Benefits of Having a Red Dot
Whatever your reason, whether you are in combat, hunting, personal defense, competition or in practicing range, there is need to get the best red dot sight and combine it with laser scopes. It will make your experience awesome as you will be able to take aim before shooting. All they do is replace the iron sights with a red dot.
If you use them properly, you will find that aiming becomes as simple as placing the red dot on the target. If you happen to get the best lasers, it will be useful for placing the red dot on what you are targeting; it will determine the exact distance to your target. The more sophisticated red dots offer an alert to make the necessary adjustments so that your bullet strikes the target.
It is important to note that, by default, the location of the dot corrects itself up to a certain point. Regardless of the angle, you are looking at; the dots will be able to move up to a certain point to cover the target. Since it has an audio correcting style, it enables you to open both eyes as you use it, thus giving you a better awareness of what is surrounding you.
It makes it easy for you to locate your target faster, usually referred to as “target acquisition.” Red dot sights are great for use especially if you are into getting fast target acquisition, which automatically saves you time.
Types of Red Dots
There are various red dot sights on the market, and you might just find it difficult in choosing and differentiating the junks from the genuine one. It is important to learn the different types of red dots if you are to buy the most appropriate ones. The following are the various red dot types you need to know.
In most cases, this type is referred to as reflex sight or red dot sight. It is a tube which doesn’t have a magnifying lens and has all its contents inside it. Because all the components are inside the tube, it makes this type of red dot sight sturdy.
The way the lenses are placed allows for them to get scratched easily. Due to its design, you will expect it to be knocked all over. Its range of angles is restricted and even though you can still have both eyes open as your target moves, be prepared to have a good cheek weld to get a better view of the red dot.
ACOG sights refer to Advanced Combat Optical Gun sights. They are good when you want to reach out and touch your target. The good thing about these sights is that they have a magnification, which allows you to hit targets from a long distance, making them ideal for hunting.
If you want to do short distance, then these are not the best pick for you, as you are better off using a standard scope. ACOG bridges the gap between a scope and iron sights. They are originally trademarked by Trijicon though you will find some copies made by other companies.
They are almost similar in built to the red dot sights types as they are sturdier but with an advantage of being able to hit the target from far. The only disadvantage of these red dot sights is that they are not convenient for close-range shooting. However, to overcome this disadvantage some come loaded with a holographic sight.
These sights are unique since they offer you wider angles to shoot from; in a home defense scenario, from behind cover, and in a competition. Their modes of operation differ from the regular red dot sight reflex, but have almost the same outcome. The components are housed in a base with a frame and a piece of glass sticking up.
With these sights you will have a much better view of the field due to the size of the glass, making it possible to see from extreme angles. The disadvantage of these types of red dot sights is that they are not protected, but this doesn’t mean that they are weak. They are the ones the military use in combat.
How to Choose the Best Red Dot Sight
Before you decide on which red dot sight is best for you, you need to consider the features which best fit how you intend to use it. The following are some of the factors to considere:
Most of the red dot sight can adjust for elevation and the wind with clicks at 0.25 MOA, 0.5MOA or other increment and decrements as you deem fit. You will get models which have both increment and decrement, allowing you to make a number of adjustments.
It is common knowledge that firearms are sturdy, especially when you add the red dot sight. It is only true for rifles, but not handguns whose weight can become a factor. If then you end up adding a heavier red dot sight to a handgun, it will make it heavier and problematic to aim.
Usually, iron sights have a rear and front sight, which helps you to produce a straight shot, while a red dot sight doesn’t have. If you were to look down the red dot sight on the target and move your head to the right or left, without moving the gun, then you will shoot the wrong target because of the parallax error.
If you have the proper techniques, you will be able to eliminate this type of error. Just make sure that the type of red dot sight you are purchasing has the capability of handling the error; it is common in the high end models, more expensive type.
The size of the dot is very important when purchasing the best red dot sight. It is normally rated in MOA, which stands for “minutes of angle” with one unit being equivalent to 1 inch at 100 yards. So if you happen to have a 4 MOA, it denotes that, it will cover 3-inch circle at 100 yards.
The more the distance, the more important MOA becomes, such as in closer range combat. Your eye can give you a faster response as compared to long distance. Distance makes the ability to give accuracy to diminish.
The life of the battery of a red dot sight ranges from hundreds to over thousands of hours. What you need to consider when it comes to battery life is how easy it is to replace the battery when the need arises. The process takes to remove the existing battery and put another battery matters a lot.
The head-up display is an important feature to consider when shopping for the best red dot sight. It resembles an open piece of glass instead of containing it in a tube like a rifle scope. The HUD makes it possible to easily acquire targets since your peripheral vision is not obstructed.
Such kind of a red dot is the best for use by police or hunters who are handling a combat situation as it makes it possible to view what is going on around your target. And if you are in a situation where you are handling more than one target, then this is the finest attribute to consider on the red dot sight you are purchasing. The only disadvantage with HUD is that the red dot is difficult to spot as it is not contained.
Reviews of 10 Best Red Dot Sight on the Market 2018
1. Trijicon Mro-C-2200004 2.0 Moa Adjustable Red Dot Sight
TRIJICON MRO-C-2200004 is one of the best red dot sights to use for target practice as it will enable you to beef up your firearm competency. It is good for practical, self-defense due to of the practicality of its features. It offers you large viewing area, which makes target acquisition fast with minimal tube effect.
It is one of the most versatile sights with up to eight adjustable brightness settings for better image viewing. Though it is at a high price, it comes equipped with features that make it one of the most sought after device, which is sold due to its necessity more than anything else.
- It has a practical and sizeable MOA of 6.5 that is easily adjustable; 1 MOA is equivalent to a dial click
- It is good for overall life, practicality as it is good at easy target acquisition
- It has a super bright light setting
- It comes equipped with two-night vision modes that are added to the already eight brightness settings that come with auto adjust mode
- It is expensive
- It is heavy
- It is difficult to change the battery
2. Eotech 512.A65 Tactical Holographic Weapon Sight
EOTECH is one of the most expensive but resourceful sight that is worth the money. It has a well-built design consisting of tool-free mounting bolt, knobbed, and an aluminum hood construction. This holographic sight is highly versatile and the ideal choice for close-in combat shooting. You should be impressed by its specifications, the manufacturer has you covered in every regard.
You need to buy it along with a magnifier, which will transform it into a wonderful piece that will give you clarity why you are out hunting. As long as it has the above combination, you will love your hunting espionage. However, you will need a flathead screw driver in order to adjust the red dot. Irrespective of the many features it comes with it is not the most ideal option for a novice shooter.
- The best for close-in combat
- Has a rugged design that is highly versatile
- Fits the AR quite naturally
- It is durable
- Supports weaver rails or one-inch Picatinny
- The illuminated reticle has a blurry distortion without the separately bought magnifier
- Poor positioning of side buttons
- It is expensive
3. Holosun Micro Red Dot Sight
HOLOSUN is the best red dot sight available on the market for its price, it has an almost infinite battery life of 5,000 hours if used non-stop. It can be equated to 5 years of use constantly yet it is not that expensive. It comes with an auto shutoff feature that makes sure that, after 8 hours of inactivity, the site is switched off. It is a very efficient gear that avoids wastage of power.
It has a 2 MOA reticle, and a side mounted laser, which improves the aiming option. You have a choice of more than one brightness settings to choose from, and if you have to extend your hunting until night time, you need not worry because it is night vision compatible. If by accident it is submerged into water, so long as it is less than 100 feet it will resist the impact, meaning that you can work with it in harsh weather without worrying.
- It is parallax free
- It has a high-quality clear lens with a bright red dot
- 5000 hours of battery life
- Fully waterproof
- It is strong due to the aluminum construction and has MAO finish
- It has a soft battery cover
- Not possible to pre-zero using a bore laser
4. Burris 300234 Fastfire Iii Sight
BURRIS 300234 is a fixed power rifle combat sight, which comes with a wide objective lens and a powerful magnification, making it a hybrid between a scope and a red dot sight. The design is heavy-duty and engineered from quality materials for long-lasting performance. It has been taken through a series of tests to confirm how efficient and reliable it is on the field.
Apart from the remarkable magnification, you will be able to enjoy an excellent field view. When it comes to overall handling and especially target acquisition, it is just superb. It is installed with an ergonomic power button for turning the device on/off. Its versatility is improved by the incorporation of auto brightness setting and three brightness settings. The optics are odd, though.
- Made of rugged and quality materials for long-term performance
- It is integrated with 3 MOA dot reticle
- Elevation adjustments and tool-less windage improves target acquisition
- It is tested for both reliability and quality
- Low battery indicator keeps you informed about the battery status
- Optics are odd
- Not good for small game hunting
- Recoil and vibrations not flexible enough to accommodate various scopes
5. Vortex Vmx-3t Magnifier With Flip Mount
VORTEX VMX-3T is the best red dot sight for pairing with Aimpoint PRO. This rugged magnifier is made of machined aluminum that is hard-coat anodized for durability. It is highly user-friendly because it is effective, fast and very simple to operate. This magnifier offers resourceful eye relief distance and optical clarity.
Its mount is well-built and easy to use; you can actually use it on the AR15. The mount is solid and allows you to effortlessly flip your scope. You can adjust the mounting to enhance your eye vision field. Apart from being tough it is also lightweight. So it will not add too much weight to the firearm, thus it doesn’t interfere with stability and aiming.
- It pairs well with Aimpoint PRO for better performance
- It is one of the unique red dot sights with 3x magnification
- User-friendly and versatile mounting
- The design is sturdy and weatherproof
- The fully multicoated optics gather good light and reflects stray light
- It is fast, easy and clear, making it ideal for target practice and hunting
- Its eye relief is not very convenient
- The mounting may present some significant challenges
6. Primary Arms Micro Red Dot Sight – Md-Rbgii
The Primary Arms Micro is the best red dot sight for hunting and target practice with night vision compatibility. It is a versatile model that is well-matched with other micro mount designs when you remove the base. The built is ergonomic and the controls are easily accessible, including twelve brightness settings.
Its battery life is remarkable because there is so much you can do with one thousand hours of continuous use. The optic itself is waterproof, meaning you can use it in humid conditions without damaging it in the process. In addition, its mount is Aimpoint T1 or H1 compatible. Generally, it is a good optic for its price, but with a few design issues.
- Removable base makes it compatible with most micro mount systems
- Provides you with 1,000 hours of battery life
- It features a 2 MOA red dot
- Highly versatile with twelve brightness settings
- Its body is tough and weatherproof for long-term durability
- The plastic brightness selector doesn’t do a great job as advertised
- There are significant issues with the emitter blocking view
- Battery drains faster if you forget to turn the device off
7. Dagger Defense Red Dot Reflex Sight – Ddhb
The DDHB by Dagger Defense is the best reflex sight optic that is very affordable. To begin with, it has a very well-constructed design that is ergonomic and sturdy. It mounts effortlessly on a rifle, such as S&W MP15. The heavy-duty body of this optic is very much capable of withstand extreme weather as well as rough handling.
It is one of the most versatile red dot reflex sights on the market. It is engineered to produce red and green dot, not to mention that it has four position reticles. Sighting has been made easy with the integration of locking screws that allows for simple adjustments. Moreover, the optic only covers a small area on the Picatinny rail.
- It has a heavy-duty design made of aircraft grade aluminum for long-term use
- The ergonomic body only consumes a small part of the Picatinny rail
- It’s a versatile optic that offers both green and red dots, which are clearly visible
- It is fitted with locking screws for easy sight adjustments
- A riser may be required in some situation to adjust the dot’s height from the rail
8. Bushnell Trophy Trs-25 Red Dot Sight
The Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 is the best red dot sight when it comes to performance, reliability, and quality of materials used. If you are a starter Hunter, this is one of the finest red dot sights to buy as it comes with a 3 MOA reticle, which delivers at 100 yards. It has a 25mm objective lens diameter, which is smaller as compared to others in the same range.
However, it is one of the red dot sights with a sturdy, reliable and solid construction as far as under $100 sights are concerned. It is a versatile model that can fit on Ruger 10/22; even though you will need a different Picatinny mounting rail. The dot’s size and precision are very impressive, especially at the lowest settings.
- It is lightweight that does not interfere with aiming
- Easy target acquisition
- 3 MOA, dot reticle
- Ergonomic and user-friendly design is good for beginners
- The light of the red dot is secured inside the scope with adhesive
- Field of view is partially obstructed
- Dot is not distinct
- Not good value for money
9. Rhino Tactical Green & Red Dot Sight
The Rhino Tactical is the best red dot sight for rifle shotguns. Unlike most traditional models, this particular one is made to last. The manufacturer used heavy duty materials that can withstand harsh environments and weather. The optic has undergone a series of tests that have proven its resourcefulness and effectiveness on the field.
The ergonomic design is very rugged and user-friendly. The adjustment knobs are easily accessible, and it is equipped with locking caps on both ends for securing the optic when not in use. It comes with a cantilever mount that makes mounting quick and easy. Moreover, it is engineered to deliver both green and red dot illumination.
- It has a rugged and ergonomic design with easy access adjustment knobs
- Comes with cantilever mount for easy, secure and quick mounting on the rail
- Delivers both green and red dot illumination and has five brightness settings
- It is remarkably accurate at a hundred yards
- 4 MOA dot reticle for perfect target acquisition
- The red dot is not crispy as you would have expected
- It comes with a limited warranty of one year
10. Fieldsport Micro Red Dot Sight
The FIELDSPORT Micro is the best red dot sight for hunting, target practice and sport shooting. The body is engineered from heavy duty aluminum alloy, which is rugged, very durable and can withstand harsh environments. Unlike most optics, this particular model does not have magnification. Therefore, you do not need to concern yourself with parallax error.
The design is installed with fully multicoated optics that guarantees maximum light transmission and reflection of stray light. The optic is two-eye compatible, which offers situational awareness and improved target aiming speed. There is no need for centering because of the parallax red dot engineering. Mounting is easy and convenient since you can position it at any distance from your eye without any issues.
- It has a rugged design made of heavy duty material for extended durability
- Fully multicoated lens improve light transmission and reflection of stray light
- The design is two-eye compatible for situational awareness and better target acquisition
- Has a long eye relief that is effective and convenient for heavy recoil firearms
- No green dot illumination
- No magnification
- Presents significant challenges when sighting
There are many red dot sight models on the market, but you can only pick the best if you know what you are looking for. The most important thing to note is that you are buying the red dot sight to improve your target acquisition. The information provided in this posting, including the list of product reviews should help you choose the most resourceful and versatile design.