The popularity of rangefinders has grown among out-of-doors events apart from golfing, including target shooting, hunting (bow and handgun) and surveying. These devices are now more sophisticated, faster, rugged, lightweight, and compact than ever. A number of reputable brands, including Bushnell, Vortex, Leupold, and Uineye have produced hi-tech rangefinders for the users.
They have incorporated in their manufacturing, useful ballistics algorithms and digital electronics. Basically, the rangefinders found on today’s market are built to deliver the best performance, especially for hunters. The list of rangefinder reviews provides you with crucial buying information and reference for future purchases.
- 1 How is a Rangefinder Useful for a Hunter?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Hunting Rangefinder
- 3 The 8 Best Hunting Rangefinders to Buy in 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
- 3.1 1. Simmons 801600 Volt 600 Laser Rangefinder
- 3.2 2. Halo XL450 Rangefinder
- 3.3 3. Bushnell Michael Waddell Bone Collector Edition 4X21MM Laser Rangefinder
- 3.4 4. TecTecTec ProWind Hunting Rangefinder
- 3.5 5. Wildgame Innovations Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder
- 3.6 6. Uineye Laser Rangefinder
- 3.7 7. Vortex Optics RRF-101 Ranger 1000 with horizontal Component Distance Rangefinder
- 3.8 8. Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder
- 4 The Wrap Up
How is a Rangefinder Useful for a Hunter?
A hunter can increase the success rate of a hunt by using a rangefinder. You do not have to assume the distance of your target. You will know your target is at 100 yards if you use a rangefinder. Apart from the distance, a ranging device offers you readings of heights and angles. A hunter gets more benefits than just readings.
A hunter who knows the exact distance of the target doesn’t need to guess. Precise distance readings ensure that you take an accurate and clean shot. This way, you avoid killing game in an unethical manner. Most devices come with a reliable range distance, such as 10 to 600/1000/1600 yards.
A rangefinder brings you closer to your game without you giving up your spot prematurely. Any hunter knows the importance of stealth, and there is no better way of avoiding detection than using a rangefinder. The best hunting rangefinder is equipped with superb magnification power, ranging accuracy, and quality lenses. All these features combined get you closer to your target.
How to Choose the Best Hunting Rangefinder
There are several considerations you have to make in order to choose the best hunting rangefinder. The very first thing you should do is ask yourself the following question, “Why do I need a rangefinder?” There are various answers to this question, but the most immediate one is to range the exact distance of your target.
However, there are a number of things you can obtain from a rangefinder apart from the distance. These include angle and height among other sophisticated parameters. You need the following pointers to be able to choose the ideal ranging device.
A simple rangefinder will simply tell you the distance. This kind of a model is built to provide you with the most basic solution to your hunting problem, which is finding the correct distance. A sophisticated, ranging device uses a little more advanced tech, which tells you angles, degrees of offset and compass direction.
Sophisticated rangefinders, such as the Leupold Series features extended range distance, most resourceful ranging accuracy, multiple modes (True Golf Range, FOG, and Day of Play Temperature/Altitude Input), most advanced laser technology and better display. Therefore, there are significant differences in design and performance between simple and sophisticated models.
You cannot just pick a rangefinder because it is simple and easy to use or it has more advanced features. You need a model with the best construction. The best model is one that has an ergonomic body and finishing. The casing should be made of high quality material such as aluminum.
The outer layer has to be made of rubber coating, which does more than just provide you with the better grip of the device. The controls should be easily accessible and simple to operate. For instance, most devices have a one-button operation. The unit has to be lightweight and compact because a heavy model will be a disadvantage during hunting.
You should know that sophisticated models may have more special features than the simple ones. However, the most fundamental features that define the best hunting rangefinder are: powerful magnification (4x or more), more precise ranging accuracy (+/-1 yard), type of lenses (fully multicoated lenses are usually favored), rubber coating (strong grip and comfort), lightweight, and compact.
Nevertheless, sophisticated models have more advanced features in addition to the aforementioned ones. These may include multiple function modes, angle measurement, height measurement, accounting for slopes, ballistic algorithms, and most advanced digital electronics.
The best rangefinder can dictate your hunting success rate. You stand a better chance of winning a trophy with a finder than without. There are some models that are unbelievably inexpensive; while there are others that are quite expensive. It is obvious that the expensive models have better features when compared to the cheaper ones.
However, these devices vary with performance. There are some models that cannot reach their potential when in the field. You may find a model with a range distance of 10 to 1000 yards, but it can only range up to 600 yards. To avoid such problems, it will be wise for you to do some research before purchasing.
The 8 Best Hunting Rangefinders to Buy in 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
1. Simmons 801600 Volt 600 Laser Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”A1wyTWCqYyL” alt=”Simmons 801600 Volt 600 Laser Rangefinder” code=”B00SX7JPMG”]
The Simmons 801600 is the best hunting rangefinder for bow hunting. This high-spec laser rangefinder features the angle compensated yardage, which is presented just beneath the distance number. This is a vertical style model; therefore it is compact and lighter when compared to most conventional horizontal rangefinders. This is regardless of the fact it is longer, wider and taller.
It is one of the few class 1 rangefinders with a magnification of 4X. This magnification is suitable for a close range of 10 to 600 yards. The low magnification is convenient for close range hunting. This makes the Simmons 801600 the most ideal model for archers and individuals who are not used to higher magnification devices.
- It has an ergonomic design that consists of an in-view LCD display for exact distance acquisition from ten to six hundred yards.
- Its high-performing optics delivers a 4X magnification of your target at a range of 10 to 600 yards.
- Apart from being compact, lightweight and efficient during bow hunting, the device is weatherproof, meaning you can use it in humid or wet conditions.
- It is not a suitable rangefinder for long range shooting.
2. Halo XL450 Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”61mUopXDiLL” alt=”Halo XL450″ code=”B01BE8J034″]
The Halo XL450 is the lightest and the best hunting rangefinder for close range hunting. Its maximum rated ranging distance is 450 yards with a magnification of 6X. This simply means it is suitable for bow hunting. It has the most reliable adjustment for altitude, and its operation is pretty easy.
It provides the accuracy close range hunters require. Therefore, it covers the appropriate distance for a more precise and successful shot. It is a highly versatile finder that can be used in two separate modes. Set it to standard mode to range a single target, and scan mode to range more than one targets. Readings are obtained consecutively during scanning mode.
- It uses the most efficient Angle Intelligence Technology that is very effective for detecting slopes and providing accurate readings.
- The 6X magnification offers more details of the target at 450 yards.
- Two ranging modes; standard mode for ranging a single target and scan mode for ranging multiple targets.
- The design is ultra-lightweight, durable and weatherproof.
- The finder’s maximum ranging distance is 450 yards, which is not suitable for long-range shooting.
3. Bushnell Michael Waddell Bone Collector Edition 4X21MM Laser Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”91cQxBdvSgL” alt=”Bushnell Michael Waddell Bone Collector Edition 4x 21mm Laser Rangefinder” code=”B00IN6ENWY”]
The Bushnell Michael Waddell Bone Collector is the best hunting rangefinder for the money. It is a precision device engineered to boost your hunting success. Its ranging accuracy is +/- yard in most cases. It uses an in-view LCD display to provide you with accurate readings of your target from ten to six hundred yards.
The 10 to 600 yard range is very resourceful for hunters. Bow hunting should do quite well at 400 yards, and you can reserve the maximum range for larger objects. It is fitted with a bright, crystal clear optics and a magnification of 4X for better and more precise ranging. Another useful selling point of this device is the compact, vertical and weatherproof design.
- It offers more than one range performance: 200 yards for deer ranging, 400 yards for tree ranging, and 600 yards for reflective ranging.
- The device is remarkably easy to operate; all you have to do is tap a button to obtain your desired range.
- The bright, clear optics and magnification of 4X brings you close enough to your target for a more précised shot.
- The LCD display is not clear in lower light.
4. TecTecTec ProWind Hunting Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”51aKl-HyzeL” alt=”TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder” code=”B015FM1ZWY”]
The TecTecTec ProWind is a compact and easy to use rangefinder engineered for outdoor adventures, including hunting and surveying. A compact and ergonomic 6X magnification finder, the TecTecTec ProWind delivers precise measurements of your target up to 540 yards. This is quite impressive for bow hunters and deer hunters among others.
It has a ranging accuracy of +/- 1 yard that supplies fast measurements. The advanced speed technology and continuous scan mode eliminates any doubts. You can conveniently view multiple targets. It will not take you long to figure out your target because the multilayer lens are more than accurate for precise ranging.
- It uses advanced speed technology and continuous scanning for accurate readings of both speed and distance.
- The multilayer lens and +/- ranging accuracy provide you with a clear view of your target and surroundings for a successful hunt.
- It is compact, lightweight, mud-resistant, and water-resistant, making it the ideal rangefinder for out-of-doors activities.
- It is very useful for spotting deer that you would otherwise assume were out of range.
- It provides inconsistent readings below 50 yards.
5. Wildgame Innovations Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder[img_products img_code=”61OtxAWLbXL” alt=”Wildgame Innovations Halo X Ray Z6X 600 Laser Range Finder” code=”B00C2L4F3S”]
The Halo X Ray Z6X is the best hunting rangefinder for archers. It is an exceptionally effective angle-compensated laser rangefinder. It uses AI technology that takes care of any slopes to your intended target. The display is user-friendly and simple to read. It displays the slope or angle to your target in degrees.
This device’s usefulness is also seen in the range distance. You can use it to range from as low as 11 yards and as high as 600 yards. The device is convenient for tree and deer ranging. The 6X magnification and scan mode make the device versatile, meaning that you can use it to continuously range multiple targets.
- It has an ergonomic design that is incorporated with rubberized silicone grip for ultra-quiet operation.
- The device uses CR2 lithium ion batteries, which are not only standard for most contemporary rangefinders but also easy to find at convenience stores.
- The 6X magnification and scan mode allows continuous ranging of targets.
- It comes with a carry case and cleaning cloth for maintenance.
- It does not provide you with a suitable option for long-range shooting.
6. Uineye Laser Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”81m3mL%2B270L” alt=”Uineye Laser Rangefinder” code=”B018VM3LWC”]
The Uineye is the best hunting rangefinder for both close-range and long-range shooting. This masterpiece is built for performance. This is the device to invest on if you are tired of the conventional models. Uineye has manufactured this revolutionary device to offer you an advantage during hunting with no limitations.
The most popular benefit of this rangefinder is the ranging distance. You can range at 5 yards and increase your distance to 1600 yards. You will also admire the ranging accuracy of +/- 0.33 yards, which is among the best you can get on the market. It is definitely one of the most versatile products on the market; measuring all the angles and has multiple measurement modes.
- It has a lightweight, portable, ergonomic design that is very comfortable to handle.
- It offers you first-rate ranging accuracy of +/- 0.33 yards and superior ranging distance of 5 to 1600 yards.
- It measures all the angles for you between -90 degrees and +90 degrees, which is quite impressive compared to competitor models.
- Highly versatile, providing you with more than one measurement modes, including distance, angle, height, and horizontal.
- It features Scan mode for constant ranging of multiples or moving targets.
- It does not go off on its own.
7. Vortex Optics RRF-101 Ranger 1000 with horizontal Component Distance Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”81LYr%2BOEEPL” alt=”Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 with Horizontal Component Distance Rangefinder” code=”B009NFUN28″]
The Vortex Optics RRF-101 is the best hunting rangefinder for bow hunting, target shooting, and gun hunting. This state-of-the-art ranging device is built for ultimate out-of-doors performance. It is one of the high-end products for the money. You can use it to range any target, and you will still get the finest results.
It has a heavy-duty design that is rubber-armored coated for a strong and comfortable grip and durability. It is installed with fully multicoated lenses that do not only deliver a brighter view of the target, but they are also anti-reflective. The rangefinder features an O-ring seal that protects it from debris, dust, and moisture.
- It has the best design incorporated with rubber-armored coating, fully multicoated lenses, and O-ring seal for revolutionary performance and durability.
- Its excellent range accuracy of +/- 3 yards and range reflective of 11 to 1000 yards make it ideal for bow hunting, target shooting, and gun shooting.
- It is an ergonomic and user-friendly device; controls are straightforwardly accessible and it is easy to operate.
- It is an expensive model.
8. Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder[img_products img_code=”51Z3h3ZqJNL” alt=”Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder” code=”B018YJU3HI”]
The Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W is the trailblazing and the best hunting rangefinder for the money. This innovative ranging device uses ultramodern ballistics algorithms and digital electronics to provide you with an unsurpassed performance. Leupold had their customer’ best interest when they engineered the RX-1200i TBR/W.
Weighing only 12.8 ounces and measuring 1 by 1 by 1 inch, the Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W is not only lightweight but also compact. The design features an aluminum casing and a rubberized layer for durability and a comfortable grip. It is equipped with a versatile rifle mode, which includes the following options: BAS, HOLD, MIL, MOA and TRIG.
- It has a vertical, compact and ergonomic design consisting of an aluminum casing and a rubberized layer for durability and strong grip.
- It offers up-to-the-minute features for maximum performance, including OLED display, scan mode, rifle mode, bow mode, and flexible ballistic groups.
- Unlike most conventional models, the Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W is built for both bo hunting and rifle hunting.
- It is an expensive model.
- It doesn’t account for the wind.
The Wrap Up
We selected the eight products and reviewed them to help you understand what the best hunting rangefinder looks like. Each product has proven its worth in the field. The finest ranging device has to be lightweight, compact, ergonomic and user-friendly as far as the design is concerned. It should also be able to deliver reliable and accurate readings under normal as well as harsh operating conditions.