A crossbow scope is a crossbow visual aid that can also be referred to as crossbow sight. When choosing the best scope for crossbow there are two main types of crossbow scopes to choose from: the red-dot crossbow scope, and the optical crossbow scope. Crossbow scopes are beneficial when hunting; they provide you with enhanced accuracy, increased range, improved score, whisper free operations, and increase your confidence while hunting.
- 1 What Is The Difference Between The Two Main Types Of Crossbow Scopes?
- 2 How to Choose the Best Crossbow Scope
- 3 Top 5 Best Crossbow Scope to Buy in 2017 – Reviews and Comparison
- 4 In Conclusion
What Is The Difference Between The Two Main Types Of Crossbow Scopes?
The red-dot type is the cheapest and has two varieties: the triple red dot, and the single red dot scope. In order to improve the accuracy of your shot when using the single red dot, you are required to align the dot with the target. While the three dot scope comprises of three dots, the top dot is for sighting targets within a 20 yard range, the middle dot is for a 30 yard range and the bottom dot is for a 40 yard range.
The optical crossbow scope is expensive but efficient when using. They comprise of various accessories making them heavy in weight. They come in with quality optics that offer you a magnification between 1* and 5*. They come in two different options the single or the multi-reticle type. Other crossbow scope types include the reticle crossbow scope which comprises of crosshairs that split up the lens into four quarters. The laser crossbow scope is recommended when hunting targets that are in motion. The function of the laser is to predict the location that the crossbow bolt is likely to hit.
How to Choose the Best Crossbow Scope
When deciding to add a scope to your crossbow there are various factors that you need to consider, here are some to help you.
Scopes in the market are in numerous sizes because each person has his or her own preference and reasons of buying. Scopes that comprise of additional components are heavy in weight making it hard to carry around. Disadvantages of heavy scopes are: they might throw the crossbow off the balance, decrease accuracy, and make it difficult to hold the crossbow. Lighter scopes are available for portability, but choose one with a good range.
We all want to save on cost and that is why you need a gear that will last for a long period of time, and requires minimal repairs. Choose a crossbow scope that can be used in various weather conditions. Some comprise of waterproof, fog proof and shockproof features. For added durability, the best scope for crossbow is easy to mount. This will reduce the possibility of wear, tear, or any sheer pressure while mounting or un-mounting. Check the scopes center tube diameter. This determines the rings size and base required for proper mounting. This is an important aspect for durability.
Choose a crossbow scope that will allow you to use it during the day and night. Optics of high quality is important because they transmit a clear image even in the evening or in poor lighting conditions. The best optics to choose is those that are multi-coated. They provide good light transmission even in the dark, produce bright and crisp images. An optic that is fog proof is also recommended. They allow you to use them in fog areas and provide you with a clear view without having to wipe the fog.
One of the basic functions of a crossbow scope is magnification. This is one factor that you will always consider first when purchasing a scope. Magnification allows you to aim accurately, take a good shot and specifically know the target’s location. Magnification allows you to enlarge the object you are aiming from a far distance in comparison to using your own eyes. Scopes vary in magnification but they mostly have a maximum magnification of 32*.
The length of the crossbow scope is important for determining the magnification. For a good magnification you require a long scope. This is also a disadvantage since a long scope is heavier and that is why you need to get a scope that is lightweight but still offers you a great magnification.
In order to avoid accidents when shooting the crossbow you require an eye relief. The eye relief refers to the distance from the shooting eye to the eyepiece lens. The best crossbow scope is one that offers you a long eye relief. It allows you to view the target without you being close to the eyepiece lens. A short eye relief is not recommended because it poses a risk to the eyepiece by making it hit your eye when shooting.
Top 5 Best Crossbow Scope to Buy in 2017 – Reviews and Comparison
1. Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope[img_products img_code=”71TkSWBLanL” alt=”Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope Black Matte” code=”B004MYBSZQ”]
Nikon Bolt XR Crossbow Scope Black Matte (BDC 60) weighs 1.2 pounds which gives it a compact design that is lightweight. It is the best scope for crossbow that features a large ocular comprising of an eyepiece that offers you a rapid focus. The ocular is waterproof, fog proof and shockproof making it durable and less prone to damages. Its optics offer you maximum brightness and contrast when sizing since it transmits 92% of the light available. The lens is coated with numerous layers of anti-reflective compounds offering you clarity. With its reticle BDC 60 you get to enjoy aiming points that are precise up to 60 yards. You can also be able to sight in at 20 yards using the crossbows zero-reset turrets. It provides you with a magnification of 3 to 32* and an objective lens of 32mm. This is the best crossbow scope for all weather conditions.
- Perfect eye relief of 3.4 inches that allows you to get a full viewing angle
- Its zero-reset turrets allows you to sight in at 20 yards
- Can be used in the dark because its optics offer maximum brightness
- The ocular is waterproof, fog proof and shockproof making the crossbow durable and an all-weather condition gear
- Comprises of only dots and no horizontal sighting lines that are hard to view
2. Barnett Cross Scope[img_products img_code=”61t9ogARxvL” alt=”Barnett Cross Scope w/Rings 4X32mm Multi-Ret” code=”B000JMNX7Q”]
Barnett cross scope 1706 is a 12.5-ounce crossbow scope that features a five-point programmed, multi-reticle crosshair system. This system allows you to acquire a rapid target when hunting. Being lightweight you will be able to carry it around during your hunting activities. It is considered to be versatile, it is compatible will all full-sized crossbows in the company line. It is water resistant and shock proof making it durable for a long period of time. It features a 0.875-inch dovetail mountain rings that offers you easy mounting and also increases the scopes durability. It is a 32-millimeter crossbow scope that offers you a 4* magnification. It is manufactured by Barnett who is a well-known manufacturer.
- It is a durable scope, being water and shock resistant it will last for a long period of time with minimal repairs saving you money
- It offers you accuracy with its 4* magnification allowing you to hit your targets even in long yards
- It is versatile, it is compatible to all full-sized crossbows in the company’s line making it suitable for all hunters
- Its blurry ring does not offer you a plain sight making it hard to use while deer hunting
3. Excalibur Tact-Zone Illuminated Scope[img_products img_code=”6172VHWi78L” alt=”Excalibur Tact-Zone Illuminated Scope” code=”B00AU6BX8W”]
Excalibur tact-zone scope is made up of numerous features. It comprises of the updated reticle design, a tube measuring 30mm and a red/green rheostat illumination. It offers you clarity when hunting with its multi-coated lens. It is an adjustable scope for speeds between 275 fps and 410 fps. With its half inch click adjustments that are of 20 yards you are provided with ease in sighting. It weighs 1.1 pounds making it lightweight and easy to carry around. It is durable for a long period of time and saves on cost because it is shockproof. With that said, this is the best crossbow scope for hunting and target shooting.
- Its click adjustment of 20 yards and yardage marker provides you with easy sighting in
- Clarity, its optics are clear and its illuminated rheostat allows you to clearly see and you are able to adjust brightness
- Accuracy and fast, its red and green dots provide you with fast accurate zeroing in on your target
- Allows to shoot even a walking target like a deer with its adjustment that is built into the sight
- The scope allows you to zoom in but the lines after zero do not match the crossbows speed
4. Truglo Crossbow Scope[img_products img_code=”71ApEW8UdFL” alt=”Truglo Crossbow Scope 4X32 with Rings APG” code=”B001EYBNFW”]
Truglo crossbow scope features a four inch eye relief that allows you to hunt even at a distance. With this type of crossbow you will never miss a target. It comprises of lenses that are fully coated providing you with maximum brightness, contrast and a clear view. It offers you the capability of adjusting with its rubber eye-guard, fingertip windage and elevation adjustment. It comprises of an aluminum structure making it durable. It’s one piece tube is made of an aircraft aluminum that is of high quality. For added durability, the scope is resistant to scratch and comes in a reflective matte finish.
- Can be used in low light conditions, its coated lenses provide you with maximum brightness
- Saves you on repair costs and is less prone to damage due to its aluminum construction style and it scratch resistant
- Protects your eye when hitting a target with its four inch eye relief
- Cannot be used in foggy areas, it is not fog resistant and the gas tends to leak out making the scope fogged up.
5. Hawke Crossbow 1.5-5X32 IR SR Scope[img_products img_code=”41jkkpLtiCL” alt=”Hawke Crossbow 1.5-5X32 IR SR Scope with Illuminated Circles” code=”B007W39PR2″]
The Hawke crossbow scope is a well-known brand in the market. It is known to match any bow available making it a preference to all hunters. It comprises of a crossbow speed selector that allows it to match any crossbow. It has a fast performance level making you have accurate and fast shots towards the target. It features one inch optics that transmits high levels of light. The scope is able to do so because its optics is multi-coated fully. They provide you with dual colors to choose from that are red or green. With its precision reticle, it allows you to aim points exactly ten yards with intervals between twenty to one hundred yards.
- Can be used at night and also in poor lighting conditions, its optics provide you with maximum light
- Allows you to aim at long distances with its aiming point interval of up to 100 yards
- It is difficult to view the scope’s crosshairs in dark conditions
Crossbow scopes are better than ever. Technology continues to improve; broadband lens coating, side wheel illumination, flip-open lens caps, and so on. Hopefully, the information presented above will help you understand the nomenclature of your scope of choice, and assist you with the purchase of a quality model. A crossbow can be the best in the world, but the attachment of a high-quality scope will make it the most resourceful hunting gear.